¡Hola! (Hello!) So, you’re interested in learning Spanish. Good for you! We started talking about five reasons to learn Spanish, let’s
- Well, Spanish is a major language. It is one of the most widely-spoken languages in the world, with speakers in North America, South America, Europe and even Asia and Africa! There are over 400 million speakers worldwide (Mansfield, 2014).
- Spanish is one of five Romance languages: you can trace its roots back to Roman or the Latin language. If you can already speak another Romance language, like Portuguese, French, Italian or Romanian, you will probably learn Spanish in no time.
- Spanish is very pleasing to the ear. Spanish definitely has a romantic sound, with soft consonants, long vowels and words that flow together rather smoothly. (Oxenham, 2016)
- Spanish is very similar to English. A lot of words look and sound very similar: definición/definition, guitarra/guitar, café/coffee.
- Reading can be even easier. Spanish has very straightforward pronunciation rules, so what you read is what you get.
Tacica Bryan, MPC is a communications professional, voice talent and social media enthusiast. She is passionate about helping companies to build their voice and improve their brand. In her spare time, she does voiceover and audio production, builds her communication skills, learns new languages, and enjoys a good game of Connect Four. Her educational background includes an Honours BA in Communication Studies from York University and a Master’s Degree in Professional Communication (MPC) from Ryerson University.